When WordPress was first released in 2003, its users primarily used it as a blogging platform all around the world. And now, WordPress is powering 43% of all websites. As a result, WordPress is everybody’s choice as it is easy to use and offers rich plugins and themes to use.
Therefore, there are a lot of WordPress developers available in the market, which will help you to build, manage, and secure a WordPress website. WordPress developers also help you to build SEO-optimized WordPress websites by following all the coding standards. But not everybody is fit to work for your company. However, it can be a tough challenge for any business owner or manager to choose an ideal candidate. To help you hire the best WordPress developers for your project, we’ve put together much information in this guide on How to hire WordPress Developers.
Table of Contents
Consider These Things Before Hiring WordPress Developers
1. Do You Really Need WordPress Developer?
Before you start looking for a WordPress developer, you should first ask yourself why you require WordPress developers. This will help guide your search. Pre-built WordPress themes and plugins will be sufficient for your needs if the purpose of your website is to showcase your brand, or just regular blogging and nothing else.
If it’s not an eCommerce store, dynamic website, or enterprise-level WordPress website then there is no need to hire a WordPress developer. If your business required an enterprise-level website or wants to sell something on the internet, hiring a WordPress developer is the best choice you can make.
2. Company Or Freelancer? (Avoid Low-Cost Traps)
When you first start looking for a WordPress programmer, you are going to run into a dilemma: should you hire a freelance WordPress developer or a dedicated WordPress developer from a WordPress development company?
The Solution is dependent upon many factors:
- Cost: The cost of freelancers is typically lower than that of company services.
- Risk: Generally, companies tend to have a much better ability to mitigate risks than freelance developers do.
- The range of jobs: It is important to note that a company may be your best option when you have a large company and want to build an interactive website.
- Value: Which of the options is going to be able to provide you with the most effective long-term, residual price in the long run?
3. Consider Your Needs
If you aren’t building the site yourself, you should know what you need before hiring a WordPress developer. In order to increase the likelihood of a positive outcome, you should include as much detail as possible.
- Why do you want to create this website?
- Which type of website design do you require?
- Do you want to create a website for blogging, portfolio, static website, dynamic website, or eCommerce store?
- Which specific features and functionalities do you want in the website?
- What is your purpose to build the website? (Make money or just information serving)
- What is your time limit to complete this project?
These are the first pieces of information you should give your chosen developer. This way, you can rest assured that you and your business associate are headed in the same direction for your website.
4. Estimate Your Budget
Building a budget is a crucial first step in any project. Putting together a budget for the web development process in advance will help you choose the best WordPress developer for your project and give you a better idea of the total cost. In order to do so, you need to think about the following:
- Scope growth is the biggest cause of budget overruns, so make sure your project doesn’t get too big.
- The complexity of the requirements: evaluate the difficulty of the project. Costs tend to rise as a project’s degree of difficulty rises.
5. Check Ratings, Reviews, And Insist On Seeing Previous Work
Although a candidate’s platform evaluations and ratings are a good place to start, you should also consider their portfolio, and the number of projects they’ve completed. The developer’s ability to execute high-quality projects is demonstrated by the breadth and depth of their portfolio. Having them pass a code test is the next logical step in this process. Here’s a straightforward method for filtering out job applicants who just don’t have the necessary proficiency. Whether you start working with freelancers or companies, you always have to check their past client experiences with them by looking at their previous work, code quality, and portfolio.
Having looked at the list of things we needed to do before we could hire a WordPress developer, let’s now take a look at how to hire a WordPress developer when you are ready to hire one.
Steps to Hire WordPress Developers
1. Soft skills
Competence in technical areas is essential, but soft skills are just as crucial. You don’t want to hire a WordPress developer who is difficult to get along with or who doesn’t share your enthusiasm for the job or is not serious with their work and productivity.
People who hired developers and who did the job technically but not according to the way it was initially decided are the subjects of numerous online tales of horror. Finding employees that share your creative outlook and can get the job done is a top priority.
Here are a few things to consider as soft skills:
- Communication Skills: You are required to be able to communicate with the individual by any available method, such as the phone or a video conference. It is going to be challenging to get them to produce the output that you desire if they are unable to keep a conversation going. In addition to this, you need to make sure that there is a definite difference between the ability to speak and the capability to communicate in an efficient manner.
- Attention to Detail: When they are tasked with developing a website for you, it is essential that they follow all of your requirements. Your developer ought to have a keen eye for detail and the ability to notice mistakes and solve them as soon as possible.
- Ability to Meet Reasonable Deadlines: This is an extremely significant point. The most important thing is to find someone who can meet appropriate deadlines. Also, someone who can take care of you if any problem arrives in the middle of the project, and who can anticipate these problems to the greatest extent possible and provide you with accurate information is someone you should look for.
If you are hiring a WordPress web developer, it is necessary that you be considerate regarding the deadline. The main reason for that is the employer is unaware of what is happening behind the scenes. The employee that you hired might make it look easy, but you are unaware of the fact that it might have taken several hours to get it working.
- Confidence and Independence: A person who is confident in their abilities and expertise would know what to do in the event of urgency. Obviously, communication is still crucial, but in the event that you are unavailable, they must be prepared to make decisions based on their knowledge regarding the best course of action.
On the other hand, you’d need someone who can confidently inform you whether your website requirements are possible or not, as opposed to being a “yes guy” who cannot deliver. However, exercise caution in placing too much faith in those who lack a track record of success.
2. Basic Technical Skills
WordPress is constantly evolving as it is one of the best CMSs right now available on the market. It is necessary for you to see if your WordPress developer has the basic technical skills to help you with your project.
- HTML: It is one of the most important fundamental abilities a developer should have. so that he can easily provide you with tools to create a website from scratch.
- CSS: It determines how the page’s elements are displayed on the screen, including the colors, font size, style, blocks, animations, backgrounds, etc. In essence, it is the page’s graphic style that makes the content aesthetically appealing.
- PHP: This is a language for server-side programming. The backend of WordPress is powered by this language, so they must be proficient in it.
- SEO Knowledge: SEO is the practice of generating website traffic through organic search results. It is usually beneficial for a website to reach more people. Numerous elements, including site content, must create a unique and relevant web page title and meta description.
- Security: Automatic systems regularly monitor the Internet for common vulnerabilities. Most hackers don’t break into your site to steal information, but to spread malware, redirect visitors to scammy websites, or recruit your server for a botnet. Therefore it is necessary that they have knowledge of securing your WordPress site from any of them.
- Speed Optimization: Speed is of critical importance for websites. Google has discovered that 53% of mobile users abandon a site that does not load within three seconds. So, they should develop a website while keeping speed and efficiency in mind.
3. How Much Does It Cost
Hiring WordPress developers cost is an important factor for business owners, whether they are working with freelancer developers or experienced WordPress developers from a reputable company.
- Freelance WordPress Developers: Because the freelancer is not forced to make a commitment for an extended period of time, hiring WordPress freelance developers can be handy for tasks that are only temporary. Developers that work on a freelance basis are typically self-employed, giving them the flexibility to work from home and set their own hours.
According to Upwork, which is regarded as one of the most well-known freelance marketplaces on the globe, the usual hourly rate for a WordPress expert freelancer ranges from $12 to $28.
- Full-time WordPress Developers: These are the best alternative when you need a programmer for a long period of time. Finding a WordPress developer may take longer if you are in a remote area, but once you do, you can count on a dedicated employee that is invested in learning your business inside and out.
According to talent.com, across the United States, a WordPress developer can expect to earn a median yearly salary of $72,500, or an average of $37.18 per hour. Typically, those just starting out in the workforce may expect to earn $55,000 annually, while those with years of experience can make as much as $107,500.
- Dedicated Remote WordPress Developers: Employ remote WordPress developers if you require extra freedom with regard to location and time zone, as well as the capability to obtain the ideal knowledge at a reasonable price because of the professionalism, remarkable programming talents, and excellent command of the English language possessed by its developers. You can also hire full-time remote WordPress developers from countries like India at the hourly cost of $15 to $30 or Monthly $2000 to $4000. The cost of hiring full-time remote WordPress developers varies based on the experience of developers.
WordPress developers are a viable option for companies that are looking to expand their project teams, save money, or avoid time-consuming recruitment processes.
4. Project Brief
The top WordPress developers will want you to have a project brief drawn up before your first meeting. A project brief is a document that specifies all the tasks you’d like the WordPress developer to complete on your site.
This is what you can expect to find in a well-written project:
- Scope of the project: When you are hiring a WordPress developer for your project, it is necessary that you tell them beforehand what you want on the website. so that they can see if they are capable enough to build whatever your requirements are. Also, when you say your requirements beforehand, they are able to audit your website and see if the changes you need on your WordPress website are possible or not, and if it is really necessary, it could be done simply with a plugin installation.
- Your buyer’s journey: whether you have an eCommerce website or not, the buyer’s journey is very important. With this, the developer is able to visualize how they need to make a website so that the customer can easily go from page to page instead of getting lost in the middle. And if the design and structure of your website are easy to navigate, then there is no doubt that the visitor will convert into a lead and lead into a potential customer.
- Current design assets: You need to keep this in mind if you have a pre-existing website and you want the developer. You are going to hire a WordPress developer to make some changes that it required. Then make sure they don’t harm the current design when doing some tweaks.
- Your branding message: Your branding message is the most important thing because that represents your company and your work. It will help you to build trust between you and your customer. So, it is vital that your developers keep that in mind while making the website for you.
- Third-party integration: You have a clear idea about the third-party integration you will require in your website, for eg; which SEO tool you need in your website and which payment gateway you require if you are accepting payment from customers. Thus, your WordPress developer will be able to correctly integrate these into your website and implement the necessary security measures to protect your customers’ data.
5. Prepare a List of Questions
If you’re in the process of selecting potential employees, then interviewing some of them is a must. If you want to make sure you ask the right questions and get to know the candidate thoroughly.
A few questions you could ask are:
- What is your experience of coding in WordPress development?
- Do you stick to the WordPress development coding standards? Why and why not?
- Have you created any custom-made themes yet?
- What typical faults do developers make while building themes, in your opinion?
- What methods do you use if you optimize web pages for search engines?
- Which open-source plugins have you researched as a developer? I was hoping you could shed some light on how they function (It’s okay if you don’t understand much; the point is to judge their skill.)
- For how long do most of your development projects run?
- Tell me about the projects you’ve worked on that are similar to mine.
Different types of questions can help you learn more about the technical and social abilities of the people you’re interviewing. You could also ask for examples of their previous work.
Additionally, the majority of video chat platforms, such as Skype and Zoom, provide you the ability to share your screen with the person you are interviewing and vice versa. This might help you provide the WordPress developer with a clearer notion of the desires and expectations you have for the website after it is finished being developed.
You are giving the WordPress developer that you are interviewing the opportunity to demonstrate the method that they intend to take when working on your project.
6. Make a Contract
Once you find a WordPress developer to hire, it’s important to get everything in writing. Even though the person will probably be professional and kind, you want to make sure the project is done the way you want it to be.
At this point in the process, it’s important to make a contract that can’t be broken. This legal agreement can help make sure that both parties understand what the project entails and how they will be paid.
- Sign NDA (Non-Disclosure-Agreement) / NCA (Non-Competition-Agreement).
- Terms of Payment Method.
- Terms of Terminating the Contract (if need arises).
- Ownership of the Final Result of the Project.
- Project Scope and Timeline.
- Post-Project Warranties, such as Bug fixes, Support, etc.
From Where You Can Hire WordPress Developer?
1. Reputed WordPress Development Companies
If you’re looking to hire skilled WordPress developers who can handle WordPress development, migrations, custom integrations, theme design, security, and performance optimization, you should seek out the top WordPress development company who are solely dedicated to WordPress development. You can find such WordPress development agencies on top rating firms like Clutch, as well as on google review where you can examine their rating and see the reviews given by their clients. This type of company offers different engagement models, so you can hire WordPress developers on an hourly, monthly, or dedicated basis. This gives you the flexibility to complete your task with maximum proficiency and with utmost code quality.
Upwork is a bidding website formed by combining the well-known freelancing websites Elance and Odesk. Simply create an account on Upwork, provide a listing of the project you need, and accept bids from developers. You will be approached by individuals who will present their work and experience before making an offer, and you will choose the one that is most favorable to you.
So that you can select the most qualified individual, you can look at their cover letter, customer reviews, and portfolio. Upwork even suggests the most competent profile in the network work with. Upwork is a leading platform for finding the right talent on the Internet. The caliber of its users varies, but if you look hard enough, you can find WordPress developers that can meet your needs.
Codeable.io stands apart from other WordPress development platforms as a dedicated freelancer hub. Codeable’s best feature is that it quickly matches your requirements with developers that have the necessary expertise.
Codeable accepts only the top 2% of applicants. This is, of course, the best way to guarantee that the people you hire will perform at the highest possible level. Once again, a great place to find talented WordPress developers to hire. Instead of posting an ad for your open position, you can define your needs and get a price estimate before any development work is done.
Toptal is an excellent choice to consider if you are looking to recruit top talent but don’t want to waste time sorting through resumes of applicants of which you are unsure whether or not they are qualified. Toptal only hires the best of the best. It turns out that out of the over 100,000 applications Toptal receives annually, they only accept 3%.
They employ a stringent screening procedure to ensure they only work with the top talent in the world. This also implies that hiring a freelancer through Toptal will be more expensive than usual. Their name originates from the phrase “top talent.” This indicates that their goal is to locate and work with the most talented WordPress users and developers.
5. WordPress Jobs
The WordPress.org staff manages the WordPress Jobs website, which acts as an official jobs board. Posting a job ad is free and does not require a user account.
The available positions are organized into many groups. As stated in the advertisement, developers who are interested in working with you can get in touch with you. The next step is for you to make your own judgments about them. Job ads on WordPress.org are not verified, and WordPress.org has no control over the developers who may reach out to you.
Finally, Hire The Best WordPress Developers
If you’re starting a new business and wanted to build your first WordPress website, then it’s time taking process and some technical skills are required to build it from the scratch. So to make your task easy, a WordPress developer can help you to develop a WordPress website for your business.
Finding the appropriate WordPress developer for your project can seem like a difficult task, but that’s the reason we have made this guide for you. Everything from what steps to take before hiring, while hiring, and where to hire is covered in this blog for you to make it as easy as possible. A thorough approach to hiring a WordPress developer is ideal to see if they’re a good fit for the team. If you’re looking for your existing or for long-term work, you can always take help from our experienced WordPress developers, who are the best suitable for your business and at a very competitive price in the market. Just contact our experts and book your 30-minute free consultations with our experts.